The girls sewing project for this week is to sew
a dress with a collar, zipper, and pockets
We used a Common Sense Pattern
They did very well for the first time sewing
collar, zipper, and pockets.
The collar is what posed the problem, it being so curvedboth girls had a hard time sewing it... "momma, I need
I ended up sewing in one sleeve to demonstrate how it was
done and sewing the collar together but they
actually sewed the collar on the dress.
I thought the zipper would be a challenge but it
turned out to be quite easy for them.
I had them press the back the seam allowance, then
lined up the teeth of the zipper with the edge of the pressed
seam allowance. After pinning the zipper to the fabric I
had them hand stitch the zipper in with large stitches
for easy removal. Then the final step was to sew
the zipper in... "Momma, the zipper was so easy!"
Zippers were nightmares when I learned, I think the
extra step of hand stitching it in helps.
The hand stitching thread is removed.
here is YahChanna finished zipper
here is a closer shot of the collar, you can see
the zipper too. If she finishes her school
lessons early enough she can finish this up
before Yom Re-shone (sunday)