Monday, April 23, 2012

Sugar-free Pineapple Upside Down Cake


"Honey, would you make me something sweet?"  Was my husbands request...  I had a whole pineapple on the counter, so why not make a pineapple upside down cake?  I wanted to make it sugar-free so I googled it.  And this is the delicious recipe I found. I added molasses to give it a brown sugar flavor...


WOW!  was how my oldest daughter described it.  Joseph thought it was great!!  and my step-dad asked me to make one for him on Wednesday...



Here is the recipe *with my additions

For the topping:
sliced fresh pineapple
4 Tbsp butter (I used coconut oil)
 1/2 cup honey (I used 1 cup)
* 2 tsp of molasses
pecans (optional, I'll use these next time)

For the cake:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I used coconut milk)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Melt the 4 Tbsp butter (coconut oil) in a 10 inch iron skillet, once melted add in the honey and stir until combined.  Cook a couple of minutes until the mixture is nice and bubbly.
Place the pineapple slices in pan.
Continue to cook another couple of minutes, turn the slices over, and turn off heat.  I cooked them until the honey/oil mixture was bubble and some what thickened.  If adding the pecans put them in the pan after turning off the heat.

Copmbine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium mixing bowl and set aside.  Next, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter/oil, and the 1/2 cup of honey until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs in  one at a time and then stir in vanilla.  Alternating between flour mixture and buttermilk/coconut milk, add them into creamed mixture, stirring just until combined.

Pour over the pineapple slices.
Bake for about 35  minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Then run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the sides and place a flat plat on top of the skillet, hold onto both
skillet and the plate and flip the cake onto the plate.

ENJOY! we did ;-)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment